Projets:Perso:2013:CNC laser cutter/engraver
|CNC laser cutter/engraver, 40W|
|Auteur||jmpoure, Julien, eloib|
|Date de proposition||15/05/2013|
|Tags du projet||CNC, laser, cutter, engraver, CO2|
|Type de projet
Projet personnel de jmpoure, Julien, eloib
This projects aims to build a small 40W CNC laser cutter / engraver
This project is a personal project which aims to build a small laser CNC at the lowest possible cost for learning purpose.
At Electrolab, we have a huge laser in stock waiting to be used and this project is unrelated. But it may help us understand more about laser technology and learn how to build a custom device.
We may also collaborate with Amiens hacker club on that project (Eloib, www.etolab.com).
There is a need for a small and versatile CNC laser cutter/engraver:
- Cutting small wood / acrylic parts.
- Engaving aluminium / metal parts.
The devices should not require too much space and should be cheap, around 1000 EUR maximum.
While searching the Internet, I found this small Buildlog.Net 2.x 40W CO2 laser, designed by Barton Dring and licenced under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.
Follow these links for a complete description:
- Buildlog.net forum and new member intro
- Buildlog.net wiki
- Scalable Laser 2.x - Gantry, Frame, Skins and Drive Mods
- Parts in STEP format.
- Bill of materials. Warning: does not include laser and AC/DC.
- Laser Optics Calculator and research documents.
I would like to upgrade Buildlog 2.x laser to 60W and later 80-100W.
- Working area: 12” x 20” x 4” = 304,8 mm x 508 mm x 101,6 mm. Could be extended to a larger area.
- Laser: 60 watt co2 laser tube(later upgradeable to 80-100 watt)
- Structure: Openrail or Makerslide.
- Axes : X and Y axes.
- Lift platform with motor (Z axe?).
- Fume extraction.
- Water cooling.
- Red Dot Pointer.
- Should run under MACH3 and LinuxCNC
To obtain that, we must use Scalable Laser 2.x script.
This is only what is expected.
- Acrilyc (no PVC)
- Dark plastic
- Anodized Aluminum
We don't want to order from US based companies, as delivery costs are too high. So we are looking for european suppliers.
It seems that 40W entry-level laser tubes are extremely cheap on eBay:
- Hign Quality 40W CO2 Sealed Laser Engraver Tube Water Cool 70cm Engraving (eBay.co.uk) = 70 GPB + 55GPB
By comparision, 60W tubes are more expensive:
- 60W laser tube water cooling for CO2 laser engraver = 220 EUR + 95 EUR
I am currently looking for a cheap 60W tube.
Aluminium and plastic parts
Phase 1: mechanics and rails
Phase 2: electronics and laser
Be the force with us :)